“Prejudice, not being founded on reason, cannot be removed by argument.” (Samuel Johnson).
We’re not going to stop violence that comes out of bigotry by changing our laws or putting more police on the streets. We can only mitigate the problem by changing our social order (our fundamental attitudes to people-and-community). We must remove the sources of deep alienation that cause resentment, and sometimes extreme violence:
- Massive social inequality
- Poverty, and a society that doesn’t care
- Education systems that exacerbate failure
- Exploitation in and out of work
- The feeling that nobody matters, only money and fame.
- That the blame for all the above lies with others who are not ‘like us’.